An original much larger 1560 manor house was demolished in 1745, leaving only the service wing intact. Much of the remaining 16th Century fabric was subsequently widely extended and remodelled throughout the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, including use as offices for a significant part of the 20th Century. In the 1970’s a former owner returned the property to domestic occupation, with particular efforts focused on the reinstatement of the gardens.
The current owner, a collector of modern art and classic cars, approached us as experienced country house architects to create a truly contemporary country home for his family and his collection. The initial brief was to provide a new basement; to fully re-service the house with new heating, plumbing and electrical works throughout and to provide a new lift to serve all floors. After visiting the site, we advised on the reconfiguration of the back entrance hall and circulation spaces and the scope grew to include a contemporary triple height atrium with a glazed roof over a central courtyard as well as a contemporary ‘glass box’ conservatory. Other works include fitted joinery, bespoke bathrooms, poured resin floors throughout, refurbishment of ancillary wings for staff and guest accommodation. The conversion of a farriers workshop as a guest room will include a fully transparent contemporary bathroom, with a glass floor overlooking a vintage Porsche 356 parked below.
In 2014 we obtained full planning and listed building consent. Works started on site in the spring of 2015 and are due for completion in September 2016. The project is predominantly run from our Stamford office.
Planning permission was also gained for a new highly contemporary guest lodge to be set in the grounds of the manor.