Part of the Grade 2 listed 1840’s church was converted into a house in the 1980’s. Our client purchased the property as a development with a view to improving the architectural approach, including maximising of the space by extending the basement and incorporating a neighbouring mews house across a street within a high profile conservation area.
Our design approach was to form a large central volume out of the previous church conversion by removing inferior 1980’s sub-divisions, retrieving part of the original listed historic fabric and providing a dramatic focus for the house. Within this contemporary space a new glass lift and stone staircase were added. All spaces of the house interior were redesigned in conjunction with the interior designers Taylor Howes. The house was sold on the open market in 2014 for a record price for a London house.