Within an important Grade 2 Listed terrace, the 1810 house fronts a large private, historic garden square on the eastern side of Sloane Street in a conservation area. Although originally constructed as a six-storey single dwelling, the building was converted to flats in the 1950’s. In the late 1990’s the building was restored to a single house, along with the construction of a new mansard top storey. New extensions were added to the rear, along with the formation of two storeys of basement including a swimming pool, and the reconstruction of the mews house to the rear on Cadogan Lane.
In 2013 we were commissioned to design and detail the refurbishment of the house. However, we quickly found that the major works undertaken in the late 1990’s were of poor quality. The project then grew to encompass the complete strip-out, reconfiguration and refit of the traditional Listed interiors including renewing the building services and passenger lift, significant structural remedial works and conservation repairs to the historic facades. This included historical research to ensure that the architectural detail would all be appropriate to a house of this stature and the period in which it was originally built. The more modern parts of the building however, have been treated with a much more contemporary style of design, including a ‘floating’ curved cantilevered stone staircase with frameless glass balustrades, leading from the ground floor down to the pool and gym. Planning and Listed Building Consent for the work was obtained in early 2014. The result will be a fantastic show-piece home, with 8 bedrooms, 5 reception rooms, a home cinema, pool and leisure facilities, garage, courtyard garden and roof terrace.