The house is an elaborate 13,500 sqFt Grade 2* Listed late Victorian house and mews in the Hans Town Conservation Area, whose exuberant exterior is matched internally with highly detailed finishes of the highest quality. Designed by Sir Ernest George in 1886 to be at the forefront of the Queen Anne revival style, it is one of the most complete and highest quality Victorian houses in London.
At the end of a lease the property reverted to our client, The Cadogan Estate, who asked us as experienced London architects to obtain Planning and Listed Building Consent for change from commercial use to reinstatement of the house as an exceptional single family home. A scheme was to be developed that would maximise the value of sale of a new lease by providing certainty to prospective purchasers of a viable scheme for the house that allowed for modern living.
The design challenge in the house was to introduce comfortable contemporary family spaces and to overcome the fragmented circulation through 6 floors without detriment to the many important Listed interiors. Above all this had to obtain the agreement of the many interested conservation authorities.
Our proposal included introduction of a new lift in the main house, full building re-servicing and radical re-working of the mews house to provide the principal contemporary and traditional family spaces that are essential to make the house viable as a modern home and to genuinely secure its future.
In 2015, following extremely detailed negotiations, we succeeded in persuading the Planners to grant consent to our proposal.